From Survival to Recovery: Growing Up in an Alcoholic Home
Product Description: "Al-Anon adult children tell their stories---with pathos and humor, with courage, and rigorous honesty. The lift the veils of family denial revealing the pain, recovering from the past, and renewing the hope for all of us (AFG, 1994)."
Release Date: July 1994
Publisher: Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
Length: 304 pages - includes subject index - quick reference for various topics related to "growing up in an alcoholic home."
Item Weight: 1.00 lbs
Item Dimensions: 8.3" x 1.3" x 5.8"
- Preface of this Title: "Many of us in Al-Anon grew up in families affected by alcoholism. However, we do not always recognize the part this disease played in shaping us into the individuals we are today. Not suspecting that the experiences we had as children affect us as adults, is it any wonder we are bewildered if we find that our lives today are unmanageable?
Through the honest sharings of Al-Anon members who as children experienced the alcoholism of others, we come to see ourselves more clearly. Despite the often severe hurt and abuse they endured, each individual held tightly to the hope so essential to recovery.
We all have family histories that include embarrassing and even devastating events. Fortunately, the experience, strength, and hope of our fellowship expressed on these pages can help us to explore our own roots and lead us to new heights of recovery.
For many of us, facing the past can be extremely difficult and painful. Al-Anon is a gentle program and recovery is a gradual process. We learn in Al-Anon to proceed at our own pace. If reading this book feels overwhelming at times, it is to absorb what others have shared. Talking with a Sponsor or another trusted Al-Anon member about the feelings we uncover can help prepare us to come back refreshed and ready to continue reading.
With the help of Al-Anon, if we are persistent in facing our truths, we can find hope. We don't have to do it all at once, and we don't have to do it all alone."
- The Recovery Emporium's (Inc.) Pledge to You: We've carefully chosen the literature that you find on our site. To meet our aim of "serving recovery communities," we have found that we must keep our own overhead, shipping costs, etc. low. When we can manage this task, then we have found that it is possible to provide you the Recovery Shopper the same high-quality books at a similar or lower cost than other similar types of sites, and at a price that is comparable (or better than) to the original publishers of the books themselves.
- No Minimum Order Requirement: We have no minimum order requirements and welcome orders of all sizes. We guarantee that your books will look the same every time they are re-ordered.
- Shipping & Handling: The Recovery Emporium ships all items within 24-hours of receiving an order. Our store hours are Monday through Friday 9 am - 4pm. For this reason, orders placed on Friday after 4 pm through Sunday at midnight will be filled on Monday morning upon arriving at the shop. We have a variety of shipping options available. Below is a list of some of the options available for your to select from when making a purchase at the Recovery Emporium - RecoveryShop.com
Choose from one of the following options:
- Priority Mail Express - Items ship in 24-hour to most locations, but in no more than 48 hours. Please visit the USPS website for more information. Delivering 7 days a week, Priority Mail Express® is our fastest domestic service for time-sensitive letters, documents, or merchandise.
- Priority Mail - Shipping in 1–3 Business Days - Get more for your money with Priority Mail® shipping in 1, 2, or 3 business days based on where your package starts and where it’s being sent.
- First-Class Mail - Shipping in 1-3 Business Days - First-Class Mail® is an affordable mail service for standard-sized, single-piece envelopes weighing up to 3.5 oz, and large envelopes and small packages weighing up to 13 oz with delivery in 3 business days or less.
- International Shipping Options are available as well. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the actions taken by Customs. Please see the Recovery Emporium's Shipping Policies & Information section for more information on our policies related to international shipping.
NOTE: While we can guarantee that your order will be shipped from our location within 24-hours; we cannot guarantee what happens once your order leaves our shop. We have all orders that are sent via Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express insured and we provide tracking information for each of these packages. If you experience any difficulties with your delivery, then please contact us. We will gladly help to advocate for you with the United States Postal Service. If an item is lost or stolen, then please do not hesitate to email (email@example.com) or call (1-888-798-3496) the shop. We will work with you to help to ensure that you are satisfied with your shopping experience.